There is nothing so comforting to the soul than encouraging words. Quotes and inspirational sayings, young and old, impact our mental health. I’m sure you have infamous words of knowledge with hopes of being passed down through generations. I encourage you to bring light into people’s darkness with those sacred statements and with ones that got you through.
What are we to do?
However, words and even quotes from the living and deceased can be destructive and lead you to believe numerous lies about yourself. Words go both ways, and the way we interrupt them can either help us rise or make us fall terribly onto a slippery slope.
This blog post is about quotes and how to face challenges, but before I share my favorite top 10, I offer a word of caution to your tongue. If you are not speaking kind words that are helpful and encouraging to the receiver, then SHUT IT, not just for their sake, but more so for yours!
Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:4 (NIV)
Sticks and stone…yeah, right.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words shall never hurt me. This lyric was to help those who were being bullied. It’s unclear who said it, but it was recorded in March of 1862. Boy did they have this wrong. Words do hurt a lot longer than a bruise from a stick. If only our hearts healed as quickly as a shiner to the eye.
Unfortunately, the most (not all) hurtful words come from people we love or respect. I’m sorry if you have experienced this. Remember hurt people, hurt other people. They have their own issues and, unfortunately, are taking it out on you. It’s unfair. There is no question. With that said, do not believe them. They don’t know you as God knows you. Instead, go to the Book of Truth to hear the truth about you.
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)
It’s time to destroy those meaningless words people speak and to plant words of purpose into your heart and soul.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
Here are my top 10 favorite quotes to bring words of encouragement when faced with a challenge.
Top 10 Quotes
1. Look less at the mountain and more at the first step. For the first step can be harder than the whole journey.” – Christy Troy
2. We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons. – Jim Rohn
3. The best way to recover from rejection is to make someone feel accepted. – Christy Troy
4. The secret of change is to focus all your energy NOT on fighting the old, but on building the new. – Socrates
5. If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward. – Martin Luther King Jr.
6. Challenges are what make life interesting, and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. – Joshua J. Marine
7. Our ability to handle life’s challenges is a measure of our strength of character. – Les Brown
8. Decisions are easy when values are clear. – Unknown
9. To shine your brightest light is to be who you truly are. – Roy Bennett
10. Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try. – Michael Jordon
The Bible is not that scary
There are no better words than what is in the Bible. The Book may be intimidating but it is the most liberating. It’s hard to know where to start. And it’s easy for me to tell you to start wherever. Personally, I started with the shorter books like James, Ephesians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 Peter.
It’s also good to look in the Concordance in the back of the Bible and look up a word you may be struggling with, for instance, “love”, and to then look up the verses that pertain to that particular topic. Most importantly, be sure to read the Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. So good! As for what version of the Bible? I personally like the NIV Study Bible.
Wrapping it up
Thank you, God, for your Word, for it is filled with words to live by, with genuine love, protection, and instruction. Help us to have the desire to read and to do what we’ve read. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Remember, it’s words that form us, not sticks and stones. Keep shining your light. I believe in you. Seek the words you need to hear to help you move forward. Here are some printables to help you along!
By CT Copyright © 2021 Simplify Firefly. All Rights Reserved.